Dred Scott’s Courthouse

The St. Louis Old Historical Courthouse shot last July the night before Major League Baseball’s All-Star Game at Busch Stadium. Begun in 1839 and completed in 1862, it was the site where slave Dred Scott in 1846 filed his lawsuit asserting that he and his wife were free citizens because they had lived with their owners in several U.S. states and territories that banned slavery. It took 11 years for the case to make it to the U.S. Supreme Court, which in 1857 handed down the landmark Dred Scott Decision that denied freedom to Scott and all slaves of African descent, stripping them of all rights commonly recognized for whites. The courthouse is now part of the federal Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park, named for what has become known as the Gateway Arch.